All students encouraged to apply! Position will begin as early as late July or early August.
This position is responsible for providing comprehensive technical support for computer systems across campus. This role requires a blend of independent problem-solving and collaborative teamwork, as support tasks may involve several team members.
The successful candidate will possess strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to follow technical instructions. In-depth training will be provided, including access to instructional documents, videos, and hands-on shadowing with experienced employees.
This job is very stable. We like to hire student employees for multiple years if possible. We are also flexible with time off compared to other on-campus positions. This job provides constant learning opportunities and stable, long-term work experience in a large enterprise IT environment.
Pay and Hours
$11.00 an hour with aggressive raises based on time spent and performance. Many individuals previously in this position now work in IT roles at UNI or elsewhere, for which this position substantially prepared them (IT specialists, system and network administrators, software developers, security analysts).
Very flexible scheduling. Core hours are between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. No overtime available.
- Monitor incoming technical support incidents and respond promptly and effectively.
- Gather necessary information to resolve incidents efficiently.
- Prioritize incidents based on urgency and impact, determining the most appropriate course of action.
- Verify the completion of all tasks before closing an incident as resolved.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and/or replace hardware and software for systems in staff offices, labs, and classrooms, including monitors, printers, scanners, hard drives, and network connections.
- Maintain accurate documentation of known issues, software configurations, and large projects, as directed by supervisors.
- Provide remote technical support via phone, utilizing remote access software.
- Provide on-site support, traveling to various locations across campus to assist users in person.
- Use problem-solving skills to find innovative solutions to technical issues.
- Ensure that printers and computers across campus are functioning properly.
- Transport computer equipment and printers across campus, sometimes requiring the physical handling of heavy equipment.
The responsibilities of this position are diverse and extensive, centered on providing technical support for computer workstations. On-the-job training will be provided to ensure candidates are equipped to handle the various tasks. Candidates who have general computer knowledge and are interested in learning, even if they do not have extensive experience in fixing computers, are encouraged to apply.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to adapt and improvise in a range of circumstances.
- Good judgment in recognizing when to seek help.
- Basic troubleshooting abilities.
- Physical capability to lift up to 70 pounds for short periods and up to 10 pounds frequently and repetitively.
- Student able to work up to 20 hours a week during the school year and 40 hours a week during the summer
- Intention to stay employed with IT-Client Services for multiple years.
- Students able to work during academic breaks (summer, winter).
- Previous work experience with computers.
- Ability to transfer data between systems.
- Familiarity with working inside computers.
- Basic understanding of computer networking principles.
- Fundamental knowledge of computer components, including RAM, HDD, and CPU.
- Familiarity with common software, such as Windows, File Explorer, and Microsoft Office.